Welcome to our website! We are very excited to release our debut album into the world! Take a listen, watch some of our videos and feel free to get in touch with us! We hope you enjoy!
The origins of Euro-African Playground lie in a vision of a band that drummer Marton Juhasz always dreamed of as a child. Fascinated by African rhythm, he imagined towering grooves, dense rhythmic interplay, deep polyphonic textures and virtuosic improvisation. After years of growth and work as a jazz musician, Marton rediscovered his passion in 2011. He brought together the region’s most sought after players to create an ensemble with a contemporary sound grounded in the music of Africa. Accomplished Guinean djembéfola Ibrahima Cheikh Fall accepted the invitation to join the band in 2013 and together they seek new meaning for this cultural heritage in Europe. The band performs both original repertoire and songs carefully selected from thousands of traditional and popular African recordings, covering a vast area from the Democratic Republic of Congo to Nigeria, Guinea, Senegal, Mali and beyond. Over the last four years the band has gained excellent reputation for quality world music performances. In 2014 Euro-African Playground was voted ‘Band of the Year’ on the reader’s poll of JazzMa, online jazz music magazine.
Ibrahima Cheikh Fall – Djembe, Balafon, Vocals
- Soloist for Guinean band ‘Batafon’ at age 10
- Soloist of the renowned Senegalese band, ‘Bougarabou’
- Dancer in the ‘Africa Matimbo’ percussion and ballet group in Dakar.
Janos Aved – Saxophone
- Member of the European Saxophone Ensemble
- Member of Modern Art Orchestra (the band has featured Kurt Elling, The New York Voices, Bob Mintzer, David Liebman, Adam Nussbaum, Mezzoforte, Rhoda Scott)
Marton Fenyvesi – Guitar
- New York Jazz Competition “Arrangement” Category, 1st Prize
- “European Jazz Masters” MA Scholarship Program, 2012 – 2014
- 2012 – Jazz Soloist Competition, Monaco – First Prize
Istvan Toth Jr. – Guitar
- 2013 – Montreux Guitar Competition – Public Prize
- Guitarist for Palya Bea
Mike Gotthard – Guitar
- 2015 – Budapest Music Expo – “Talent of the Year”
Aron Talas – Keyboard
- 2015 – Montreux Solo Piano Competition Finalist
Kornel Mogyoro – Percussion
- has performed with Benjamin Herman, Raynald Colom, Paulo Russo, Martin Shaw, Vincent Mascart, „Dhoad” Gipsies Of Rajastan.
Benedek Kiss – Bass
- 2008 Codarts Rotterdam Conservatorium, Bachelor of Music
- 2012 Conservatorium van Amsterdam, Master of Music
Marton Juhasz – Drums
- 2005 – National Solo Percussion Competition – First Prize
- 2010 – Foundation for Hungarian Percussion Culture Award
- 2015 – Record with Lionel Loueke on BMC Records
We hope to see you soon at one of our concerts!
2015.12.17 – 19h / Levice / Slovakia
2015.12.13 – 19:30h / Budapest Jazz Club / Budapest, Hungary
2015.12.02 – 20h / Opus Jazz Club / Budapest, Hungary
2015.11.04 – 20h / Akvarium Club / Budapest, Hungary
CD Release Party feat. SENA, Fanta Inna Camara & Mmah Soumah
2015.10.25 – 20h / Palace of Arts / Budapest / Hungary
What an honour! WOMEX 2015 Artist Award winner Cheikh Lo invited our djembe player, Ibrahima Cheikh Fall, to join him on stage at his Müpa Budapest concert tonight!
2015.10.14 – 20h / GOLYA / Budapest / Hungary
feat. Yamoussa Sylla djembéfola
2015.9.16 – 12h / Budapest Arena / Budapest / Hungary
We are happy that Ibro, Kornel and Marton, the percussionists of Euro-African Playground can show their support for fighting child hunger in Hungary. The charity concert will feature an incredible line-up of artists.
2015.9.12 – 16h / Keleti Station / Budapest
Euro-African Playground will perform on the International Day of Solidarity.
2015.9.8 – 20h / Kobuci Garden / Budapest
2015.8.16 – 23h / Sziget Festival / Budapest / Hungary
2015.8.9 – 20h / Pegazus / Szentbékkála / Hungary
2015.8.8 – 18h / Debrecen Jazz Festival / Debrecen / Hungary
2015.8.4 – 20h / Moszkva Cafe/ Oradea / Transylvania
2013.12.21 – 20h / Godor Klub / Budapest / Hungary
GET IN TOUCH! For information and booking